Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 10 11 1:45 PM

Tags : :

So I was wondering if anyone else has encountered that which I just have. I live in a very small ranch about 32x50. I happen to have one of the smallest houses on my street (footprint & vertical height). Can someone please explain to me why my property taxes just went up to over 8000 a year. After speaking to all of my neighbors with much larger homes, they are paying on average about 6000 to 6500. When I asked to get my property looked at, I was told that ranches had a larger footprint on the property which is false in my case. Can anyone explain this further to me? Am I missing something?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Mar 11 11 10:37 AM

There are a few factors to look at.  Did you do any remodeling to the home?  Sometimes a home is not on the radar screen and the taxes remain low, but do some work trying to increase the value, get a permit from the town and you can open pandoras box. Your taxes would soon be brought up to date. The amount your calling (8000) out does seem high for Dunellen, but 6000 to 6500 in other towns seems very low.  Middlesex for a small Cape Cod on First St is about 8800, Piscataway for a similar house is about 9000.  This is information obtained from friends in those towns not any tax reference.  On Center Street, Piscataway Side, the homes just across the street from Dunellen are 8000 to 10000 in taxes.  You can go to the tax office and find out what taxes are on homes by just asking.  It is public record.  Opps, they may make you fill out a form due to the laws enacted a couple years back.  In any case Dunellen taxes are not high in comparison with other towns. Sure we are getting higher and it seems high to us because we have been so low for years.  I don't believe we are the highest taxes in the area. The county has been trying to force the town to re-access or re-evaluate, but Mayor Seader has been able to ward that off.  The longer he can do that, the better off we will be.
Dunellen.com 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 13 11 8:58 AM

I have to agree with dunellenarchitect.  My wife and I are about to close on a house in Dunellen on Madison Ave. and we know the property tax is over $8000.

We plan to appeal the the valuation, but I'm wondering if there is something else going on here when I see someone saying that most homes in Dunellen are in the $5000 to $6000 range.  Homes in Middlesex county seem to run higher, on average, for property tax than an adjoining area, such as Morris County, considering the higher average price of a home in Morris than Middlesex.

I'd hate to think we are moving into a town that is getting funny with the property tax money.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 16 11 5:14 AM

There doesn't seem to be any set rules as to how high taxes should be, seems like (all) assessors are just throwing darts at a board. I have a very small lot in town with almost no backyard and a 2 story colonial, and my taxes are just over 7000. My good friend lives on the same street but on Piscataway soil, with an acre of property, 3 story dutch, and a garage as big as my house and hes just over 8000. Doesn't seem to ever add up to me...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Mar 18 11 12:43 PM

Has anyone checked their property tax card to see if the information is correct?  I plan on doing this once I move in (granted the last hurdles of this sale are cleared), but I'm wondering if the high taxes, that some are reporting, are due to incorrect information on their property tax card. 

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 28 11 4:30 PM

One reason property taxes in Dunellen are higher is that we do not have a lotof large businesses paying property taxes to help offset the property taxes the local residents pay,  If the town council could get a large corporation to move into the Art Color lot, we'd probably see some relief down the road.  Just my two cents.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 29 11 6:42 AM

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin/prc6.cgi?&ms_user=glou&passwd=data&srch_type=0&adv=0&out_type=0&district=1203

I found this one day.  Tax records for just about any property in the state.  Play with the search fields,  sometimes less gets you more.  You can even find Chris Rock's address in Alpine.  Have fun.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help